Baked Asparagus Recipe
Using fresh asparagus, buffalo ricotta and carmelised walnuts, this recipe is perfect as a side dish or starter.
Oven-baked Asparagus with eggs, buffalo ricotta, caramelised walnuts and Tuscan flat-bread
- 50g Ricotta (Buffalo recommended)
- 75g cream cheese
- 1 tsp Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh asparagus (about 6 spears per person)
- 200ml Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat overn to 150 degrees C.
2. Mix ricotta cheese, cream cheese, 1 tsp Cabernet Sauvignong vinegar, 2 egg yolks and 1/4 tsp salt togeter and set aside.
3. To make balsamic drizzle, gently simmer 200ml Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar in a pand and allow liquid to reduce until it forms a syrup-like consistency. Be careful no to burn this. Once a syrup forms, remove from heat. This can be kept in the refrigerator indefinitely as a delicious drizzle for salads and meats.
4. Blanch asparagus until tender (about 2 - 3 minutes) and submerge in ice water. Drain on a tea towel or paper.
5. Mix together walnuts, vinegar, sugar and salt and place on a lined shallow pan. Place in preheated oven for about 15 minutes until the sugar is melted and the walnuts are lightly toasted. Removed from oven and let cool until rooms temperature. Once the baked walnuts are cool, break into crispy chunkcs and store in an airtight container.
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Place spears in piles onto a lined pan and brush liberally with olive oil and sea salt. Top each pile with a rounded spoonfull or tow of ricott mix and bake for 5 - 8 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Place each pile of spears on a warm plate, drizzle with Cabernet Sauvignon syrup and sprinkle with candied wlanut pieces.
3. Serve with toasted Tuscan flat-bread to mop up the sauce.