Gibbston Valley to bring Italian dining to Arrowtown
Gibbston Valley Winery is partnering with husband and wife restauranteurs Alberto and Lucia Calabrese to bring a new authentic Italian dining experience to Arrowtown with the opening of Terra Mia in mid-June 2016.
“We’re very pleased to be partnering up with such a talented team and to be bringing a dining concept to Arrowtown that’s steeped in tradition, much like how we make our wine,” said Gibbston Valley Winery CEO Greg Hunt.
Hailing from Naples, Italy, Alberto comes from a family of esteemed restaurant owners and cultivated his love for cooking as a child. He grew up with his mum and nonna, who taught him countless family recipes and inspired his passion for tradition and Mediterranean lifestyle.
“Our passion is to share our love and knowledge of Italian flavours with our guests,” said Lucia. Calabrese.
“Our philosophy is to use only fresh and local products. Everything is free ranged and free farmed with no cruelty to animals. We are 100 percent tradition, no compromises,” said Alberto Calabrese.
Terra Mia will be open daily from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. for breakfast and lunch. Evening dining will be added in the coming months.
The menu will feature traditional Italian dishes prepared with the best local ingredients and created to complement Gibbston Valley’s range of premium, award-winning handcrafted Central Otago wines.
Seasonal menu highlights include:
- Parmigiana di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmigiana): A traditional dish from the southern regions of Campania and Sicilia made from thinly sliced eggplant coated in flour, fried and layered in a dish with tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Scialatelli: A long-shaped pasta made with milk, parmesan, parsley, flour and eggs. This is a modern addition to Italian cuisine, invented on the Amalfi Coast in the late 1960s.
- Ragú Napoletano: A traditional Neapolitan red sauce of rich tomato ragout and large pieces of meat. The meat is usually removed from the sauce and served as a second course, while the sauce is served with pasta.
- Torta Caprese: Originating from the island of Capri, this is a flourless chocolate and almond cake.
Hours of Operation
Terra Mia will be open daily 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Dinner service will be added in the coming months.
- Breakfast (8 a.m. – 11 a.m.): traditional Italian favourites including house-made pastries and biscuits
- Lunch (11 a.m. – 3 p.m. ): a selection of soups, salads, pasta dishes, antipasto platters and focaccia
- Afternoon Dining (3 p.m. – 5 p.m.): selection of platters designed for pairing with Gibbston Valley wine
“We’re excited to be transitioning to a new dining concept that’s still focused on showcasing the best local ingredients and making everything in house, but with Terra Mia we’re also bringing Italian traditions to Arrowtown,” said Hunt.
While the venue is transitioning to a new concept, Terra Mia will continue to be home to a tasting room, operated by Gibbston Valley Winery. In the tasting room guests will be able to experience Gibbston Valley’s full range of wines. Along with the various tasting options, wine will also be available to purchase by the glass or bottle to enjoy on site or at home.
Terra Mia will also continue to offer the option for purchasing food to takeaway for visitors who might want to create a gourmet and authentic Italian dining experience at home. The restaurant will feature an Italian Salumeria corner stocked with products used in their antipasto, homemade pasta and sauces.
Keep an eye out for traditional Italian home cooking coming soon to Arrowtown.