SKYCITY Gibbston Wine, Food Festival, Queenstown
It’s almost time for another SKYCITY Gibbston Wine & Food Festival in Queenstown. This Saturday, 19 March from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. you can find the region’s top wine and food producers in Queenstown Gardens. We hope you’re ready to pamper your palate.
Aside from just being a fun way to spend your Saturday, this festival is a unique opportunity to experience incredible wine and food all in one location without ever having to leave Queenstown. It’s especially unique for wine tasting.
Who needs to walk or bike from winery to winery, when your next tasting could just be a few steps away? But ease of access to more wine shouldn’t be your only excuse, it’s what’s in your glass that really matters.
Located about 25 minutes from Queenstown, the Gibbston subregion of Central Otago is home to some of the top Pinot Noirs in the world including, yours truly.
Central Otago is the southernmost wine making region in the world and one of the top five New World wine producing regions along with Napa Valley, Margaret River, Stellenbosch and Willamette. Good things are happening in our neck of the woods, and tastings at the festival start at just $1.
Along with Gibbston Valley, participating wineries include Brennan Wines, Chard Farm, Hawkshead Vineyard, Kalex Winery, Mt Rosa Vineyard, Remarkable Wines and Valli Vineyards.
Getting the chance to experience all this right in town is an opportunity you won’t want to miss, but wait. There’s more.
You can up your wine and food knowledge with the afternoon master class lineup starting with Suffused Beauty and Transcendent Resonance hosted by our very own Gibbston Valley Chief Winemaker Christopher Keys at 1:30 p.m.
During the class guests will get to taste five vintage Gibbston Valley Wines that undulate slowly and meditatively, according to Christopher. It's anyone's guess what that really means, but when you're getting to taste wines like our 2009 Gibbston Valley Pinot Noir, it doesn't really matter.
Other classes include:
- 2:30 p.m. - Sean Brennan of Brennan Wines
- 3:30 p.m. - Jenn Parr Waitiri Creek winemaker
If you're a Wine Club member don't miss the Gibbston Valley VIP lounge. We're offering members a relaxing place to enjoy complimentary nibbles and tastings throughout the day.
Not a member yet?
Join today and get access to this and other premium benefits including discounts on wine and access to limited-release vintages.
Did we mention the food yet?
You’ll find an array of culinary delights at the festival ranging from New Zealand beef, lamb and seafood to wood-fired pizza, gourmet chocolate and handcrafted cheese.
Don’t worry about pinching yourself, you’re not dreaming. Some of the food stalls may have eftpos, but we recommend bringing cash, just in case.
Participating food vendors include:
- Wild Thyme Restaurant – a tantalising combination of local flavours and contemporary cuisine.
- Chef Brendan – with 28 years international experience and former executive chef for Blanket Bay on his resume, be prepared for something special.
- Cargo Kitchen – find fresh, healthy and delicious food that include vegan, gluten free and vegetarian options
- Francesca’s Wood Fired Pizza – delicious Italian pizzas made fresh to order
- Patagonia Chocolates - decadent chocolates, ice cream and coffee to satisfy every sweet tooth
- Zamora – The Meat Preachers – South American-style grilled meat for the carnivore in you
- In2Food – by supporting a “buy local” philosophy, the culinary experts at In2Food are kind to our environment and your tastebuds
- Gibbston Valley Cheese – specialising in gourmet cheeses handcrafted in the European style using New Zealand sheep, cow and goat milk
- Erik’s Fish & Chips – new on the block, the owners of this fish & chips joint use their specialise recipes to create a tasty twist on a traditional favourite
Along with the wine and food, the festival will also feature live music by the Queenstown Jazz Orchestra and other local acts.
There’s even something for the kids. Children’s Activity Directory will be there to provide a supervised area with entertainment and the option for day care throughout the day.
The cost is $30 for the day or $15 per hour and includes unlimited activities like face painting, crafts, a bouncy castle, and bouncy slide.